The film project “Engaging the Imagination: Wally’s Way” involves a creative community made up of a creative team and the supporters dedicated to its realization. Without the supporters providing in-kind donations or financial support, this project cannot be realized. New members of the support community are welcome.
IN-Kind support from Artists & artist’s organizations
By waiving their copyright fees, the In-kind donations by these artists and/or their representatives made this project possible.
- Squall © 2010 by John Bisbee. Courtesy of the artist.
- A Moment in Time © 2004 by Chakaia Booker. Courtesy of the artist.
- Foci © 2010 by Chakaia Booker. Courtesy of the artist.
- © 2016 The Calder Foundation, New York/Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York for use of: Black Flag © 1974 by Alexander Calder
- Gui ©1976 by Alexander Calder
- Knobs © 1976 by Alexander Calder
- Five Swords ©1976 by Alexander Calder
- Bitter Sky ©1983 by Sir Anthony Caro. Courtesy of the artist.
- Mozart’s Birthday © 1989 by Mark di Suvero. Courtesy of the artist and Spacetime C.C. New York. Collection of Storm King Art Center, Mountainville, New York.
- Beethoven’s Quartet © 2003 by Mark di Suvero. Courtesy of the artist and Spacetime C.C. New York.
- al di la © 2008 by Mark di Suvero. Courtesy of the artist and Spacetime C.C. New York.
- Mother Peace © 1969-70 by Mark di Suvero. Courtesy of the artist and Spacetime C.C. New York. Collection of Storm King Art Center, Mountainville, New York.
- Pyramidian ©1987-98 by Mark di Suvero. Courtesy of the artist and Spacetime C.C. New York. Collection of Storm King Art Center, Mountainville, New York.
- Storm King Wall ©1997-98 by Andy Goldsworthy. Courtesy of the artist and Galerie Lelong, New York. (Photo by Thomas Porpiglia)
- You & Me © 2010 Maria Elena González. Courtesy of the artist and Knoedler & Co.
- Large Bather No. I ©1956 by Emilio Greco. Courtesy of the Estate of Emilio Greco.
- Three Legged Buddha © 2007 by Zhang Huan. Courtesy of Zhang Huan Studio and Pace Gallery.
- Suspended © 1977 by Menashe Kadishman. Collection of Storm King Art Center, Mountainville, New York. Courtesy of the artist.
- Storm King Wavefield © 2009 by Maya Lin Studio. Collection of Storm King Art Center, Mountainville, NY. Courtesy of Maya Lin Studio and Pace Gallery.
- © 2016 The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum, New York/Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York for Momo Taro © 1977-78 by Isamu Noguchi.
- Wayside Drainpipe ©1979 Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen.
- Collection Storm King Art Center. Courtesy of the artists.
- Kiss © 2008 by Darrell Petit. Courtesy of the artist.
- Pilobolus photos © 2016. Courtesy of the Pilobolus Organization.
- The Pietrarubbia Group: il fondamento, l’uso, il rapporto ©1975-76 by Arnaldo Pomodoro. All rights reserved. Courtesy of the artist.
- Luba © 2009-2010 by Ursula von Rydingsvard. Courtesy of UvR Studio of Ursula von Rydingsvard.
- Mirror Fence © 2003 Allyson Shotz. Courtesy of the artist and Derek Eller Gallery.
- Free-Ride Home ©1974 by Kenneth Snelson. Courtesy of the artist.
- All the King’s Men © 2010 by Johnny Swing. Courtesy of the artist.
- © 2016 Fritz Wotruba Privatstiftung, Wien/Vienna for Man Walking ©1952 by Fritz Wotruba. Courtesy of the Artist’s Foundation.
[Permissions are pending for work by a few other artists]
Acknowledgement extended to The Louise Nevelson Foundation and ARS New York for granting permission to use the teaching footage for City on the High Mountain ©1983 by Louise Nevelson, making this film possible.
Very Special thanks: Storm King Art Center for permission to film on their grounds. Thanks also to Storm King Art Center staff, particularly the Building and Grounds and Visitor Services staff, for all of their assistance during filming.
In-Kind Donations of Goods/Services:
Mary Aspin, grant writer, Donna Hammond + Anne Pavek of Hudson Street Café, Dale Grust, Declan Quinn + Edda Gustavson and Nancy Peckenham + Mark Fleischman for hospitality for film crew; Tara Jacobsen, Webmaster for www.wallyswayfilm.com
This project is made possible, in part, with funds from:
Orange County Tourism and the County of Orange, New York, An Anonymous Foundation; The Kaplan Family Foundation
Storm King Adventure Tours, LLC; Matching Pfizer Grant
AND the Artists/art lovers:
Several individuals who wish to remain anonymous + Theresa Amatuzzo, James and Mary Aspin, Peter Augello, Dr. Lois Baldwin, Cynthia Baroody, Teresa A. Beaudet & Gerald Giamportone, Wyatt Bernstein, C.K. Boyle, Kippy Boyle, Brian & Sharon Burke, Constance Burkhardt, Dr. Mary and Tom Byrne, Dr. Karen Lee Carroll, Brian Chichester, Dr. Lucy Lee Chiles, Alan Clarkson & Chris O’Brian, Jim & Muriel Crawford, Danny & Yolanda, Amy Davis, Carole Denove, Margaret Diver, anonymous, Dana Garner, David J. Goggins, Virginia Gordon, Norman L. Graber, Dr. Jerome J. Hausman, Phyllis Graber Jensen, Don Johnson, Josephine Joyce, Dr. Lannie Kanevsky & Carolyn Shannon, Joan Kaplan, Dr. Margie Kitano, Sue & John Koski, Daniel Liegey, Dr. Peter London, Virginia Lynn, Dr. Mark A. Malley, Wally McGuire, Evelyn McKnight, Eileen Mulvey, Jaci Canning Murphy & Lee Murphy, Dottie Noe, Dr. Marcia Norton, Lois Pasternak, Rich & Jacqueline Patterson, Snow Piccolo, Tamara & Bill Pullman, Veronica C. Roberts, Leonard & Audrey Salvatore, Scott & Lynne Schweizer, Kris Seiz, Dr. Judith Simpson, Clay Sims, Allison Snell, David Sobol, Dr. Rosemary Steinbaum, Dr. Rena Subotnik, Jane Unhjem, Jeff Wallace, Valerie Wolzien, Nancy Yeaw, Colleen Zlock.
The Creative Team:
The collaborative, interdisciplinary Creative team is made up of an Advisory Council of experts and a team of documentary artists dedicated to the realization of an educational documentary of Wally McGuire’s method that celebrates the creative process of making and looking at contemporary sculpture. The need to provide this educational resource to others is evident to those who have experienced it first hand. A special thanks to AL Perlmutter for inviting S. Kay to join his New Filmmaker program at Independent Production Fund and be mentored.
(in order of membership) Dr. Sandra I. Kay, artist, art & special education; Mr. Wallace F. McGuire, artist, art educator and author of method “Making a heart connection with art”; a very shy and exceptional expert; AL Perlmutter, President Independent Production Fund, our Fiscal Sponsor; Declan Quinn – Filmmaker/ our 1 st Camera and Consulting Director; Allyson Johnson, Editor and our Consulting Editor; Jaci Canning, Art Advisor; Lee Murphy, Sound Engineer; Alexandra Lescaze, filmmaker; Kippy Boyle, art advocate; Joe Schroeder, VP of IPF; Roland Gebhardt, Artist; Laura Strauss, artist and gallery owner; Valerie Wolzien, writer; Peter Trippi, Editor-in- chief of Fine Art Connoisseur magazine.
Eternal gratitude to the original Advisory Council members: Dr. Maxine Greene for her encouragement and responses to the early footage; Dr. Eliot Eisner for his interest and encouragement of this project; and Dr. Al Hurwitz for his enthusiastic support and advice.
(those who donated their effort and expertise have an *)
- *Executive Producers: S. Kay, Valerie Wolzien
- *Producer: Sandy Kay Productions, Inc.
- *Creative Team facilitator: Sandra I. Kay
- *Consulting director: Declan Quinn
- *Consulting Editor: Allyson C. Johnson
- Unit Production Manager: Alexandra Lescaze* of Mighty fine Films
- First Camera and Director of Photography: Declan Quinn*
- Second Camera: Tina DiFeliciantonio, Naked Eye Productions, Inc.
- On site Art Director/Script: Wallace F. McGuire*
- Sound: Tom Bergin, Jane Wagner
- Production Assistant: Adrian Moron
- Camera Assistant: Chris Hamilton
- *Consulting editors: Allyson Johnson*; Patrick Wright* of Maryland Institute College of Art’s Film Department
- Editors: Allyson Johnson*, Thomas Porpiglia
- Photographers (Stills): Karen Lee Carroll*, Sandra Kay*, Thomas Porpiglia,
- James Shiffer*, Laura Straus*, and Thomas R. Wolzien*
- Music Composer/Editor: Thomas Porpiglia
Post-production facility: TBD